This post contains links to products that I may receive compensation from at no additional cost to you. View my Affiliate Disclosure page here.
When Life Gives You Lululemons by Lauren Weisberger revisits many beloved characters from The Devil Wears Prada series. This one is a standalone, however, you meet plenty of other characters too. The following book club questions will have spoilers so if you haven’t read the novel yet, check out my preview and review first.
Oh, Emily. Equal parts superficial but also loyal. She’s changed in many ways but has stayed the same as well. She’s refreshing in certain aspects because she’s not afraid to be honest. Although, I have to say it would be difficult to be her friend.
But, spoiler, she’s now going to become a mother, it will be interesting to find out how she’ll change – if she does change. Everything did wrap up nicely for the three main characters but I do think Weisberger could again revisit them down the road.
Book Club Questions for When Life Gives You Lululemons
- First, have you read The Devil Wears Prada or seen the movie? Why do you think that story is still so popular to this day?
- At the beginning of the novel, Emily is desperate to keep her crisis PR business afloat. She continues to get outmatched by a younger competitor but she won’t go down with a fight. Do you think Emily has changed much from when we first met her in Devil Wears Prada? Why or why not?
- What did you think about the story choice to feature the perspectives of Emily, Miriam and Karolina? Which character do you like the most out of the three?
- Let’s talk about the setting of Greenwich, a very affluent area. This setting was almost another character in the story. Weisberger said that she wrote the story because of her own transition from Manhattan to the suburbs. Did any of the descriptions of the suburbs ring true to you? How so?
- There are plenty of rich details about living in Greenwich from the over-the-top parties to the women cliques to discussions of ‘mommy makeovers.’ Let’s talk about what we thought about all these descriptions. Is it just creative descriptions or do you think it’s realistic?
- Something with Emily that was kind of odd was her flirtation with Alistair. Why do you think Weisberger included that? What was it supposed to represent about Emily? Do you feel like that storyline was wrapped up?
- There’s plenty of political talk in this one. Do you think Karolina’s senator husband was inspired by any real life politicians?
- What do you think about the dynamics between the three women?
- Which character arc of the three main women do you think is the strongest and most believable? What happens next for them?
- Miranda Priestly makes an appearance. What did you think about her cameo?
Next on my TBR (to be read) list
The Perfect Mother by Aimee Molloy is next on my list. Check out my preview here.
If you’d like to tag along with my latest reads, follow me on Instagram!
Sunday 6th of September 2020
I loved the book and all three main characters...just wanted to confirm if there was a mistake in chapter 11 on page 119...Ashley showed Miriam a text from “Paul”. Shouldn’t it have been from Ashley’s husband Eric? Just wondering if I was reading it wrong....
Friday 8th of March 2019
I loved When Life Gives You Lululemmons!!! Will you be doing a sequel for this book? Loved the characters so much I didn’t want the book to end. Hoping for a sequel!!